No matter how successful your Shopify store is, there’s always something you can improve, whether related to marketing, design, development, shipping, or financial planning.
The good news is, you don’t have to work alone. With hundreds of ready-to-use add-ons for Shopify, store owners can automate the majority of their daily tasks.
It’s not just about automation. Plugins also give you data-driven insights, content and design templates, and ready-to-deploy bots. With all these tools, you can take your Shopify website to the next level by enhancing its functionality and boosting your customer experience.
The Shopify App Store is home to over 8,000 apps for marketing, shipping, customer support and everything in between. That’s a lot of tools to work through, especially if you are just starting out with add-ons.
Luckily, we’ve done the legwork for you. In this comprehensive guide, we’ve handpicked the top 20 Shopify store plugins for literally any online shop. We’ve categorized them according to their functionality, including marketing, customer support, finances, shipping and security, detailing their features, prices and the problems they solve to help you make an informed decision.
- What are Shopify plugins
- 20 best Shopify plugins to install in your online store
- The Bottom Line: Choosing Best Add Ons for Shopify
What are Shopify plugins
Shopify plugins are tools that increase the capabilities of a Shopify store, enabling store owners to optimize various aspects of their online business. These plugins, also known as apps or extensions, cater to different needs such as marketing, sales, shipping, customer support and more.
- What is a Shopify plugin? It’s a software extension that seamlessly integrates with your Shopify store to enhance its features and improve its overall performance.
- How do Shopify plugins work? They connect to your store’s data and use it for automation. The seamless integration allows for a more efficient, customized and user-friendly shopping experience for store owners and customers.
20 best Shopify plugins to install in your online store
There’s a myriad of marketing Shopify extensions out there. To make your life easier, we chose those that are easy to use, offer pro features and have great support.
Smile: Rewards and Loyalty
- Problem it solves: Low customer retention and difficulty keeping customers engaged with your store
- Price: Free plan available; paid plans start at $49/month
- Features: Flexible rewards program, referrals, VIP options, email and push notifications
- Downsides: The widget looks a bit clunky on the page
Smile integrates with your Shopify store to track customer actions, such as purchases and referrals. It uses this data to automatically award points or other rewards based on the rules you set up. Smile syncs with your customer database to send targeted emails and push notifications, promoting your loyalty program and keeping customers engaged.
Omnisend: Omnichannel Marketing Automation
- Problem it solves: Difficulty in coordinating and automating marketing campaigns across multiple channels
- Price: Free plan available; paid plans start at $16/month
- Features: Pre-built workflows, email and SMS marketing, segmentation, multi-channel messaging
- Downsides: The interface can be complex to navigate, and some features require a steep learning curve
Omnisend is one of the most popular Shopify eCommerce plugins out there. It gathers customer data like browsing habits, purchase history, and engagement with previous marketing campaigns. It uses this data to create targeted marketing campaigns to deploy across multiple channels. The plugin creates trigger-based workflows, taking a chunk of the manual work off your plate.
Klaviyo: Email Marketing and SMS
- Problem it solves: Struggling to communicate effectively with your customers and lack of personalized marketing efforts
- Price: Free plan available; paid plans start at $20/month
- Features: Segmented email campaigns, automation, ready-to-go templates, ROI tracking
- Downsides: Increased reliance on customer data comes with higher privacy risks, and aggressive marketing can lead to unsubscribes or customer dissatisfaction
Klaviyo works by connecting to your Shopify store’s customer data such as personal information, purchase history and browsing behavior. It uses this data to segment your audience into groups, helping to craft high-yield email and SMS campaigns.
This Shopify add-on delivers eye-catching templates and a drag-and-drop editor to design your messages. It also provides automation workflows for common scenarios, such as cart abandonment and post-purchase follow-ups.
Loox: Photo Reviews
- Problem it solves: Difficulty in gaining customers’ trust and showcasing trustworthy product reviews
- Price: Starts at $9.99/month
- Features: Photo review collection, customizable widgets, review request emails, import/export reviews
- Downsides: No free plan, can be expensive for stores with high order volumes
One of the best social-listening Shopify apps, Loox integrates with your Shopify store and uses your order data to automatically send emails with review requests to customers after they have received their products. Customers can easily submit their reviews and photos directly from the email or through the Loox interface. The add-on offers cool widgets for showcasing feedback on your product pages, homepage, or reviews page.
Plug In SEO: Automate Your eCommerce SEO
- Problem it solves: Low search engine visibility and lack of organic traffic to your store
- Price: Free plan available; paid plan at $9.99/month
- Features: SEO audit, keyword optimization, metadata editing, SEO issues monitoring
- Downsides: Primitive SEO optimization that focuses on covering basic practices; not a substitute for professional SEO expertise
Plug In SEO is your go-to Shopify SEO plugin. It scans your Shopify store’s content, meta tags and other on-page elements to find potential hiccups. It gives you tips on how to fix these issues, like tweaking your titles, descriptions and keywords. Plus, it has a handy editor for adjusting your store’s metadata directly within the app.
Bold Upsell: Create Personalized Sales Offers
- Problem it solves: Difficulty in increasing average order value and maximizing the potential of each customer purchase
- Price: Starts at $9.99/month
- Features: Customizable upsell and cross-sell offers, in-cart upsells, post-purchase upsells, offer analytics
- Downsides: No free plan, limited customization options on lower-tier plans
Bold Upsell is one of the must-install plugins for Shopify. It syncs with your product catalog to create and show custom upsell and cross-sell offers. You can set rules for when and where these offers appear, like during the checkout process, in the cart, or on product pages. The plugin keeps track of your offers’ performance and generates downloadable reports.
ReConvert: Convert Customers Repeatedly
- Problem it solves: Missed opportunities to increase sales by not using post-purchase interactions effectively
- Price: Free plan available; paid plans start at $4.99/month
- Features: Customizable thank-you pages, product recommendations, upsells, countdown timers, social sharing
- Downsides: Limited design options on lower-tier plans, sometimes the plugin comes across as overly promotional, and not all stores may benefit from post-purchase engagement
ReConvert is a Shopify extension that focuses on keeping the conversation going with your customers after they’ve made a purchase. It allows you to customize your store’s thank-you page, so customers see custom high-conversion buttons, creative product recommendations, and personalized product sets. These features enable ReConvert to boost your average order value and encourage customers to come back for more. If you’re looking for Shopify apps to increase sales, start with this one.
ShipStation: Automate Shipping Management
- Problem it solves: Poor management of shipping across multiple carriers and platforms, leading to inefficiencies and errors
- Price: Starts at $9.99/month
- Features: Centralized shipping dashboard, discounted shipping rates, automation rules, label printing, tracking information
- Downsides: May not cater to all shipping providers; complex to set up compared to smaller top Shopify add ons; businesses with few shipments may not benefit from its features
A standout among Shopify shipping apps, ShipStation brings all your shipping info into one dashboard, allowing you to manage your shipments, print labels and track packages all from one place. No more worrying about missing important details or deadlines. ShipStation will keep you in the loop on all things shipping and even send updates to your customers.
Shippo: Streamlined Shipping Solutions
- Problem it solves: Difficulty in comparing shipping rates and managing shipments
- Price: Pay as you go; monthly plans start at $10/month
- Features: Discounted shipping rates, label printing, automated tracking, returns management
- Downsides: Some features are only available on higher-tier plans
Shippo integrates with your Shopify store‘s order data and uses it to generate shipping labels and tracking numbers. The plugin connects with multiple shipping carriers, allowing you to compare rates and choose the best option for each shipment. The automated tracking feature keeps your customers informed about their order status.
A2X for Shopify: Accurate Financial Reporting
- Problem it solves: Difficulty managing complex financial reporting for eCommerce operations
- Price: Starts at $19/month
- Features: Accurate financial reporting, integration with accounting software, automated data entry
- Downsides: Fairly expensive for small stores
A2X for Shopify is a financial reporting app that makes it easy to get accurate, automated financial reports for your Shopify store. It integrates with popular accounting software like QuickBooks and Xero, and captures sales, fees and cost of goods sold (COGS).
Sufio: Professional Invoices: Invoicing Solution
- Problem it solves: Creating professional, compliant invoices is time-consuming
- Price: Starts at $19/month
- Features: Automatic invoicing, compliant with international laws, customizable templates
- Downsides: No free plan
Sufio automates your store’s invoicing process. It automatically creates invoices for every order, which comply with international laws and can be customized to match your brand. If you’re wondering which Shopify apps you need to save time and be more efficient with your finances, Sufio is one of them.
Sezzle: Increase Sales with Installment Payments
- Problem it solves: Customers abandon carts due to high upfront costs
- Price: Free to install (fee per transaction)
- Features: Installment payment option, instant approval, no interest for customers
- Downsides: Sezzle charges a fee per transaction that not all customers will be willing to pay
Sezzle is a Shopify app that breaks down purchases into four equal, interest-free installments for your customers. By making your products more affordable, Sezzle boosts sales and manages the checkout process for you. And the best part? You get your payment upfront, in full.
PageFly: Build Visual Stores
- Problem it solves: Bland and uninteresting store design, leading to low conversion rates and poor user experience
- Price: Free plan available; paid plans start at $24/month
- Features: Drag-and-drop page builder, responsive design, pre-built templates, custom landing pages, product pages and more
- Downsides: Truly nice pages still require design skills; the plugin has a steep learning curve for beginners compared to other top Shopify apps
PageFly is one of the top plugins for Shopify. It allows you to design and customize your store using a smooth drag-and-drop page builder. Just choose your industry and color preferences, and replace the placeholder content with your own. All templates are based on UI/UX analysis, so you don’t have to conduct all that research on your own.
Smart Product Filter & Search: Improve Navigation
- Problem it solves: Customers having difficulty finding the products they want
- Price: Starts at $14/month
- Features: Product filters, search bar, collection filters
- Downsides: Can be expensive for smaller stores; not an easy-to-install plugin on Shopify
Smart Product Filter & Search is a Shopify app that improves your store’s navigation, making it easier for customers to find what they’re looking for. The extension comes with pre-made filter options, including product type, price and tags, as well as a search bar for quick product lookup.
Tidio: Be Always Online
- Problem it solves: Limited customer support options and lack of real-time communication, leading to poor customer satisfaction
- Price: Free plan available; paid plans start at $19/month
- Features: Live chat, chatbots, email integration, multi-channel messaging, mobile app, visitor tracking
- Downsides: Limited customization on the free plan, chatbots don’t always provide helpful responses, and increased reliance on automation could lead to impersonal customer interactions
Tidio is a Shopify app that aims to improve customer support and engagement by offering live chat and chatbot functionality. Set up chatbots, automate workflows and prepare support templates to always stay on. To keep track of interactions, Tidio will generate daily, weekly and quarterly reports.
Gorgias: Streamline Customer Support
- Problem it solves: Difficulty in managing multiple customer support channels, leading to slower response times and customer dissatisfaction
- Price: Plans start at $10/month
- Features: Multi-channel integration, automated responses, customer history, live chat, ticketing system
- Downsides: No free plan; the paid subscription is expensive for smaller businesses
Gorgias is a customer support plugin for Shopify that pulls all your customer service channels into one place. This lets you manage and respond to customer inquiries from email, social media and your Shopify website all in one spot. It also offers automated responses to common questions, saving you time and keeping your customers happy.
HelpCenter: Build Trust with Customers
- Problem it solves: Lack of a centralized place to handle customer inquiries, leading to a decrease in trust and customer satisfaction
- Price: Free plan available; paid plans start at $8/month
- Features: FAQ builder, ticketing system, contact form builder, customer feedback, multi-language support
- Downsides: Limited features on the free plan, and it may not be as robust as other customer support platforms
HelpCenter offers an FAQ builder, a ticketing system for real-time support and automated workflows. All support pages come with templates and built-in functionality.
Locksmith: Protect Your Store
- Problem it solves: Lack of control over who can access certain parts of your store, potentially risking sensitive information
- Price: Starts at $9/month
- Features: Access control rules, private products, memberships, customer tag-based permissions
- Downsides: No free plan, may not meet complex security needs, and can be confusing to set up
Locksmith is a Shopify app that helps you control who has access to what in your Shopify store. This could involve locking certain products, pages, or even the entire store. You can set access rules based on customer tags, location, order history and more.
Fraud Filter: Prevent Fraudulent Orders
- Problem it solves: Fraudulent orders and chargebacks, which can result in significant losses
- Price: Free
- Features: Create custom fraud filters; review and cancel suspicious orders
- Downsides: Requires manual review of flagged orders; may not catch all fraudulent orders
Fraud Filter is a free Shopify app designed to help you ward off fraudulent orders. Set up custom rules to flag suspicious orders, such as those from specific locations or orders exceeding a certain amount. When an order raises a red flag, you can review it and decide whether to proceed or cancel.
AVADA SEO: Image and Site Protector
- Problem it solves: Protecting your store’s content and images from theft
- Price: Free; paid plans start at $34.95/month
- Features: Image protection, right-click disable, text selection protection
- Downsides: Lack of ability to right-click may be uncomfortable for some users
This plugin disables right-clicking and text selection on the site, making it harder for people to copy texts or images. It’s a great way to protect your images and product descriptions from plagiarism.
The Bottom Line: Choosing Best Add Ons for Shopify
Store owners who ignore Shopify extensions miss out on achieving the full potential of their store. Regardless of how you’d like your store to grow, working with Shopify add ons is the fastest way to get there. It takes trial and error to find the tools that work for you, but it’s worth it in the long run.
To address risks and prevent bottlenecks, reach out to WebMeridian. Our experts in Shopify development and customization will choose the best apps for Shopify that will unlock the full potential of your store.